Saturday, May 09, 2009

Vera Brown Oscarson turns 100!


Vera Brown was born 23 May 1909 in what was then known as "Provo Bench" (today "Lindon"), Utah, in a home that had been built by her great grandfather, James Stratton. She was the second child and second daughter of Walter C. and Maud Knight Brown. Born at 1 minute after midnight, she was a Sunday child who loved and appreciated beauty in all its forms: nature, music, dance, art and people.

In her youth, she was the "go-getter" that made things happen. Her grandfather Knight called her "Captain" because she was the "captain of all the kids." She was outgoing and social and loved making and being with friends. She never lost her appreciation of all that was beautiful in life and it was reflected in how she decorated a room, set a table or coordinated an outfit. She created for her husband and family a true home that was comfortable and inviting...a place Dad called "Heaven on Earth."

Two incidents recorded in her personal history truly define this incredible woman. The first followed a disappointing reversal in Dad's career with Edison Brothers that required a move and a step backwards.

"When spring came, we found a house to rent with a huge yard and the owner had been a part time nursery man. There was a six foot border with all kinds of shrubs and flowers all around the fenced in back yard. We had nothing but our baby’s bed trundle to move in. We had lived in furnished apartments.
The first night we walked in (had to be after work) with only our suit cases and nothing else but the boys’ cribs. It was pouring rain. Roy built a fire in
the fireplace. I had seen a lilac bush covered with blossoms in the yard the day before. I took an umbrella and went out and broke off a big bunch of blossoms. I arranged them in a kettle and sat them on the mantle, turned to my husband and said, “Now we are home”.


The second incident occurred in 1943 when she had to travel from San Francisco to St. Louis with three young children and illustrates the true grit that was at the heart of this sweet, soft-spoken mother:

"Roy had made reservations in the Pullman and was to meet us in Kansas City. Our train ride was pleasant. When we arrived in Denver, we were informed we would have a four hour wait! Some troops were being moved. Our train would be switched to another track but we would enter by the same gate as we departed. My first thought was ‘perhaps we should just wait that four hours in our seats,’ but the children were getting restless and Roy had suggested I may want to take them to a show near the station. That was my decision. We found our way through masses of soldiers, their loved ones bidding them goodbye. It was a heart breaking scene. I took my little girl by the hand and the boys were to stay very close to me, not being distracted by anything only to follow. We went to a show and the walk in fresh air had revived us all. On our return to the station, the gates were lined with crowds on both sides. I knew we would not make it through that ticket gate. I had been very observing on coming out where I might get back through. There was a guard and he refused to let us through. I tried to explain we had our tickets and our time was so close he could see we could never make it through the mobs of people. He refused! I took the children back and rearranged us taking Dick’s hand and telling Don, “When that guard is talking to that group of people approaching him, we will start to run and if he blows his whistle or yells, keep running!” It happened. He did yell. He did blow his whistle but we kept running and he did not dare leave his post there being so much confusion everywhere. We found our train track 22 and exactly two minutes after we were in our seats it pulled out. I thanked my Heavenly Father for his watchful care and inspiring me to do what I did."


Mother's was a powerful influence for good in all who knew her. Handicaps and set-backs were faced with courage and overcome. She was our "captain" and steered a straight course for a family who love and revere her for all she did and all she was to each of us.






Happy birthday, Mom!


















4 Comments:

At 4:27 PM, Blogger Amy Lynn said...

What an elegant, beautiful, strong woman! Truly the definition of womanhood. I think of her often when I use paper napkins and set a pan on the table...I wish I were so much more like her. I like to think of her when Hannah has on a new easter dress or beautiful music is playing or I look at our piano bench with its amazing needlework. I love telling my children stories about her flowers and patio and ginger snaps and the player piano in the living room. What a legacy of beauty and love she has left us. Thank you for a very fitting tribute. Happy birthday sweet Mema! We love you!

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Abby said...

I love this post! I am so blessed to have this Mema and to have known her and been loved by her. I think I will have to buy some flowers on May 23! Thank you again for transcribing her history. It is such an inspiration. I even used a small portion for a talk recently! Happy birthday to you, Mema! We think of you often and love you!

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger katyvee said...

I just discovered this blog.. and am guessing that 'Oskarsbo' would be code name for my dear Uncle Paul.
I love both tributes. I actually feel physical pain inside sometimes, at how much I miss them both. Miss growing up an Oscarson grandchild.. sitting on the back porch eating Sunday dessert. Dessert she had thought about all week long and hoped was 'right'. Thank you for making them fresher in my mind today. I find comfort and sweet memories in the thought of them.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Carrie Ann said...

Besides my own mother, no woman has had a greater influence on me in my life. I am so grateful for her loving care especially when I was going through puberty and was ugly and awkward, and she took me to Frontenac Plaza for a shopping day, just us together, and she bought me two dresses and a fancy pair of Pappagallo shoes to that made me feel pretty and stylish. I am reminded of Grandma everyday as I look at her crystal and silver or wear a pair of her earrings. I feel she is with me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home