Sunday, May 14, 2006

Why I Did It

It has always been my dream to have a farm. Not a "let's get up at 4:30 in the morning and milk the cows" farm, but an "isn't this a beautiful sunset from the front porch" farm. I have never wanted to actually live on a farm...but to own a piece of mother earth to call my own. A place where mom and I could go occasionally on weekends and in the summer to entertain the grandchildren.
I've had visions of them coming a few at a time. Their "turn" to be with Mo and Papa on the farm. Running in the fields, fishing in the pond, playing with the dog, finding the newly-born litter of kittens in the barn...and, of course, going out in the morning with papa to gather the freshly-laid eggs that would be part of a country breakfast. A fun time for the kids. A chance for them to see and be in nature. A time to build memories of grandparents who love and cherish them, but will not always be around to celebrate all they will accomplish in their lives.
Far West, Missouri always seemed an appropriate place for the farm. After all, it could not have been by chance that mom and I met on the temple site there. The Knights and Stringhams and many others had been planted there with a promise. A promise they would not see fulfilled, but could be by their posterity. A piece of land. A sacred family place. Zion.
So what has this to do with my new Salsa Red Pearl Toyota 4Runner? I guess it's the closest I'll get to that farm. So come on, kids, let's go for a ride! It won't take us to Zion, but it will take us up into the mountains where we can cook (or buy) a country breakfast, have fun, see nature and get to know mo and papa better. My grandpa Brown, a devoted and life-long farmer once held a piece of his Idaho farm in his hand and told my mother, "Vera, this is God's gift to man." Perhaps a Toyota 4Runner is the Japanese' gift to Americans who will never own a farm.
Anyone want to go for a ride?

10 Comments:

At 8:44 AM, Blogger Amy Lynn said...

Oh Papa. I love having you here. It is a gift to read your writing and see an eensy, teensy piece of your thoughts and brain! We fully support your dream...and maybe we could figure out where to put the kittens and chickens in the Toyota. Sign us up for a ride!

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Suzie Petunia said...

For a minute there you had me thinking you'd finally bought that farm in Missouri! But I love your "old, beat up, off-roading, banged-up" new car. It is always so fun to see you get excited about something - you deserve it! Have you had a chance to really try it out yet? I can't wait for my kids to get their turn tearing up the back roads with you! (Can I come, too?)

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger mo said...

I was with you until you made the jump from farm to Toyota. Did I miss something? Yes, Suzie, he made an attempt to use it kind-of off-road this weekend by driving up the side of a steep mountain but I was so freaked out and terrified that we had to turn around....carefully. That may be my next blog. It was absolutely terrifying for me. I'm sorry, Hjalmar. I am keeping you from fulfilling so many of your dreams.

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Emma Jo said...

I want to go for a ride. You may not be able to "tear up the back roads" with my kids but they are good at "tearing up" the back seats of cars so we're up for it any time!...especially if that big country breakfast is a Lumberjack.

 
At 6:38 AM, Blogger michaelstubbs said...

You know, Uncle P., I have ridden side by side with a Toyota Four Runner from the Snake River to the arctic circle, and they are a mighty fine automobile. While our Ford Explorer was fishtailing on washboard roads at 40mph, the Four Runner was cruisin' smooth at 65. Come on up to Pocatello, and we'll show you some mountain roads.Bring it to the family reunion in Almo.

In other news, in the Pocatello newspaper anyways, we saw a nice quotation you gave. The store is closing down, but executive man in charge P. O. cares about the people. The article was nice.

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Jangs said...

Hey can sister-in-laws come too? This sounds fun. Of course it reminds me of the time one of our sons went 4 wheeling in our Dodge Raider in Chaillis and flatted both of the back tires. Kind of hard to fix in the outbacks of Idaho. Funny now...but not so funny at the time.

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Abby said...

I love it! Love the color, love the blog, love the farm, love the man--love it!

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Oscarson Photography said...

if sheaux and i come up does this mean we'll have a groovy car to take up snowbording? i like it. im with you all the way.

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Carrie Ann said...

Perhaps your red Toyota is a metaphore for the big red barn you would have on your farm. A mobile barn. Let's just try and keep the cats from having their kittens in there, OK?

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger Suzie Petunia said...

You had a big weekend. Anything you want to share? We're all ears. Em and Ab said you did a fantastic job. Wish I could have been there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home